[pianotech] Clarification Question: i'll take a pass

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 1 13:13:47 MDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 6:22 PM, Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

> Dean May wrote:
>
> You are correct, Ron, that numbers like that do present problems for tuning
>> stability. But that isn't really what the discussion between us has been
>> about. You refuse to acknowledge that a/c air coming out of the vent is at
>> very high RH. Even here you forcefully assert that it makes no difference
>> where the vent is in relation to the piano.
>>

> I don't refuse to acknowledge it at all. Air chilled to the dew point will
> HAVE to have a very high RH% if chilling it produced any moisture runoff.
> I've been unsuccessfully trying to point out to you that RH% is NOT the same
> as MC, and raising the RH% by chilling does NOT increase the absolute
> moisture content of air. The fact that the A/C is producing water proves
> that the air coming out has a lower moisture content than the air going in.
> That's it.
>

> One of the pianos I previously spoke of encountering with the a/c blowing
>> on
>> it had a full dampchaser system with a back cover. Yet it was still going
>> substantially sharp. If I am to take your advice then, the a/c vent
>> blowing
>> on it is of no consideration.
>>

> I won't chase details with you based on a false premise, but I don't
> advocate either a heating or cooling duct dumping directly into a piano,
> whatever the RH%, and never have. Any more words you'd like to put into my
> mouth, or can we get reasonable about this?
> Ron N

 Hi Dean, Ron & Terry,

I've been following this discussion when I've looked in on the list but I've
had no time to do no more than take a quick look. I had 2 grand actions I
was replacing hammers,
shanks & flanges on for a high school and middle school to have finished,
regulated  &  for the opening day of school today. Mission accomplished used
the new carbon fiber
shanks and flanges on both, 30 YO Yamah C5 and a 1924 Packard.

I live in the SW Wisconsin 12 miles from the Mississippi, the LaCrosse river
runs about a 1/2 mile from my home and the Black river is about 5 miles
away. I do a lot of work in
Tomah/Warrens area  which is the Cranberry Capital of Wisconsin. I have
postd before about the high school in Tomah, they drained a swamp to obtain
the land to build it on.
I will begin by saying I agree with everything Ron has said to this point.
My son works in the HVAC field so what I hadn't gleaned after 30 years in
the business he's filled in over the last 11.

Large commercial buildings, like the high school I mentioned above and the
Radisson hotel in downtown LaCrosse, WI with a swimming pool indoors do not
use a conventional type AC
with freon/ condensor etc. The systems they use are called chilled water
systems, which (simplifying for the sake of brevity)pump cold water from
deep in the earth up through pipes which
run the water through a radiator type manifold through which a fan blows
air, cooling it. The result is cool, humid air which feels colder than
regular A/C and of course is harder on our pianos
and their tuning. The Radisson, for example is built of reinforced concrete
with the aforementioned indoor pool it is 2 blocks from the Mississippi and
uses one of these chilled water systems.
The Kawai GE-1 grand has a Dampp-Chaser system in it and had a full cover
until they washed it, they won't buy a new one, the manager thinks it looks
prettier without it!!
They purchased a UST-7 at the same time they bought the grand but due to the
conditions in the building had to replace it with a UST-8 about 9 years ago.
Tomah high school just bought new P-22's, the new P-22's they bought in '86
are worn out, partly due to building conditions, partly to high usage.

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404