[pianotech] Pearl River Upright

Brian Wilson pianocare2 at bigpond.com
Thu Sep 3 05:52:33 MDT 2009

Matthew
Even though the Pearl River piano isn't known for its high standard, the
same rules apply to this piano as did the Kawai upright a couple of months
ago.
Adjusting let off is not the answer, even though the P R does require a
larger let off than better built pianos. The problem is either 1. strike
distance being too large or 2. key dip too shallow.3. Has the piano not been
serviced correctly and there is too much lost motion.
 I am not a betting man, but I would put money on number 1. Most of the
cheaper pianos do not have their strike adjusted properly in the factory.
Several makes come to mind and most of them are at least 2 inches. Kawai and
Yamaha both use jigs that are 46 mm from the string. anywhere from 45 to 48
mm is the go... please work it out to imperial.... I'm a metric man.
Keydip can be incorrect but most manufacturers get it too deep, so that is
better than too shallow.
My money is on the strike distance.... blow. correct it and adjust the
capstans. What is the problem with the capstans? Get the correct tool for
the job. Makes life easier.

Before you check the strike distance as I have mentioned, you should really
try adjusting the capstans like you mentioned. Find your answers by
experimentation and then after you have exhausted your ideas, move on to
asking your peers.

Regards
Brian Wilson
Brisbane, Australia