[pianotech] bushings migrating

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 3 14:18:31 MDT 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Laura Read <lauraread at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I had my first encounter with a C3 the other day, also with some concern. I
> replaced 2 broken strings in the upper treble and found at least 6 others
> in
> the same area that had previously been replaced. Is this an inherent
> problem
> in the C3? What might be causing it?
>
> Laura Read

Hi Laura,

I have a couple of C#'s that I tune regularly that break strings. In both
cases they are in schools, have slightly rusty, just dots of rust, strings
and are either 30+ years old or are approaching that age. The hammers have
passed through the mellow stage and are now hardening with age, couple that
with the high tension scale of the C3 and you get increased breakage. The
cure is new hammers, barring that, shaping, voicing and regulating will help
for the short term but for that kind of money a little more will fix it
permanently.

Mike

--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404