[pianotech] Test Blows

Court Stewart calexste at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 11:37:42 MDT 2009

Thanks to all for the responses so far, in this thread and the related
"Pounding" and "Hearing Protection" threads!

Using a big felt mute as a pounder is something I hadn't considered -- it's
already in my kit after all.  I use the three-fingered "tripod" method along
with arm weight and so far have had no problems with my left hand/arm.  I
had a piano instructor that drilled the arm weight thing nearly every
lesson, as well as instructing me to keep tension out of my shoulders.
Chances are if your shoulder is raised/shrugged while you're doing test
blows, you're holding tension there which could lead to problems.

Some great ideas for earplugs I'd like to upgrade to -- I use 'em but only
when I must because my current ones attenuate high frequencies so much I
feel like I'm losing precision.  I also use them when there's too much
background noise, or in a very echo-y environment.

The hammer shank idea is the sort of thing I was wondering about -- too bad
it seems too cumbersome to use for an entire tuning.  If I'm really worried
about a particular piano, I finish up with ff two-handed octaves up and down
the keyboard a few times with the pedal down.  "Finish up" is the probably
the wrong phrase -- usually after I do the octaves, I find I've got some
more work to do :).

This is probably a ridiculous idea, but has anyone tried using a
vibrator/buzzer of some sort for testing?  Thinking along these lines I
borrowed a Sonicare toothbrush (an ultrasonic toothbrush featured in the
Tools section of the Journal a year or so ago for cleaning dampers).  I
touched its plastic head to the speaking length of an unmuted string and got
a very satisfying buzz out of it (didn't use any toothpaste). I haven't
tested to see if it would be enough to cause a string to render well -- I
suspect it might.  I have an old Steinway upright with some strings at the
pressure bar thingy that may be good guinea pigs.  Other ideas I came up
with: a buzzer that could be clamped to the bridge and triggered with a
footswitch, or how about something built in to the tuning lever that would
buzz the tuning pin when you pressed a button? Ridiculous or merely silly?

Truly Yourzzzzzzzzzt,
Court Stewart