[pianotech] Hearing protection

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Mon Sep 7 11:21:39 MDT 2009

I've tuned ten pianos over the weekend at a school using the Sensgard.
http://www.sensgard.com/

I did not notice the 'high frequency noise caused by the device itself'
that Dianne experienced.

I compared them to Moldex plugs and Dianne's canal caps.
The Sensgard attenuated the attack and sound envelope more
but allowed the beats to be prominent, clearer than without them;
even in the last octave and bass where I could not use other plugs.
I would go so far as to say that they isolated the beats from the sound.

I modified the mounts for the foam covers by cutting away the
front portion to reduce pressure on the tragus (that protrusion
in front of the external auditory canal).

I set the middle string with a VT and tune the unison aurally.
sometimes tuning each string to the VT in the last octave.
It's usually quicker than my own perception, then I verify aurally.

Give these a try, if you don't like them for tuning use them around
the shop or for yardwork.
--

Regards,

Jon Page