[pianotech] What Kind of Creature?

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 8 17:47:20 MDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 3:46 PM, Terry Farrell <mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com>wrote:

> The rare Canadian Prairie Pianobird?
> Anon
>
>   On Sep 8, 2009, at 12:15 PM, Albert Picknell wrote:
>
>     Hello List
>
> This blob of fluff (see attachment) was recently pulled from the space
> between the action rail and the plate (below the upper treble strings)
> of a late-60's Yamaha console.  Portions of the muffler rail felt and the
> hammer rail cloth were chewed up, which accounts for the white and green
> portions, but the greyish portion appears to be from some source outside the
> piano (unless a long-ago tuner left some greyish-coloured felt item in
> there).  The piano has absolutely no mouse droppings or urine stains,
> and has spent its entire existence on the Canadian prairies (mostly in
> Saskatchewan).  Any ideas as to what kind of creature might have done this?
>
> Puzzled,
> Albert Picknell
>
> ------------------------------
> The new Internet Explorer® 8 - Faster, safer, easier. Optimized for Yahoo!
> *Get it Now for Free!* <http://downloads.yahoo.com/ca/internetexplorer/>
> <Stuff.jpg>

 Hi Albert,

It looks exactly like the mouse nests I've been finding for years. IMHO
perhaps the rest of the rodentia sign, droppings etc. have been vacuumed
away leaving only the partial nest until now undiscovered. The urine stains
unless there were many, living there for an extended period can be well
hidden.

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404