[pianotech] Hearing Protection

Blaine Hebert brhebert at verizon.net
Wed Sep 9 00:52:48 MDT 2009

Just my opinion, or hunch, but there is a loud, painful  "screeching"
noise that always bothered me, especially while tuning from F 5 to C7.
This noise stops only when I have my ear plugs stuffed in completely in
my ear canal.  I suspect that this is a harmonic from the piano
resonating in my ear canal, probably around 4000 CPS.  There may be some
inherent quality of our hearing system that is more vulnerable at
certain frequencies.  Diane's hearing protectors block most of this
potentially dangerous noise.  I prefer my 25 db plugs because I like to
pound keys harder.  If I need to talk to a customer or hear an overtone
I can always pull them out half-way.

By-the-way: If you already have hearing loss just not using your hearing
aids does NOT protect you, your remaining hearing is still just as
vulnerable as it always was and hearing damage continues.  You need to
use hearing protection even with major hearing loss!

Blaine Hebert
RPT, MS Biology