[pianotech] Gould, was hearing protection

jim ialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 08:35:28 MDT 2009

Terry's comment, following up on Diane's description of the interaction of
humming on the stapedius muscles brings this to mind:

My understanding of Gould's personality, has for some time followed this
stream of thought, ie humming while playing is a way to cope with
hypersensitive hearing receptors.

So many behaviors which unusual personalities display, are often simply an
organisms coping mechanisms, ie, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar (actually
most of the time IMO). Since their experience does not resonate with our
own, we try to find some "reason" for their unusual behavior, when it is
often simply a "hardware" issue (in computer parlance).

Along these lines, I've been thinking about the Edwin Goode's somewhat
crabby review of the "Romance on Three Legs". To be fair I agree and
disagree with his take on Gould.  What blows me away though, is that in all
the volumes of thought and writing about Gould and his many obsessions, if
Gould were alive today, mystique of the visionary artist (which he was)
aside, he would be recognized as a posterchild of Aspergers Syndrome...as
would Sir Iscaac Newton and a whole list of other seminal, game changing
creative personalities.

Having dealt with a child on the wide aspergers continuum, and, being
reasonably "normal" but somewhere on that very wide continuum myself, the
behaviors Gould exhibited are completely understandable and expected.  While
obsessive behaviors are generated as coping mechanisms, they are also
underlie an experience of being which is different than most of us. That
different-ness opens access to a realm, a different way of looking at
things, or re-looking at things,  which is sometimes just not otherwise
accessible. This ability to "re-look" at things, is for me the part of Gould
that was so energizing.  I remain energized by his presence, despite having
taken my own bach interpretations to a very different place.

Jim I

--
grandpianosolutions.com (under construction)
Shirley, MA  (978) 425-9026