[pianotech] Baffles

barbara at pitchperfectpianos.com barbara at pitchperfectpianos.com
Wed Sep 9 08:35:56 MDT 2009

David,

I buy 4 inch thick and dense mattress foam in sheets at Jo-Ann Fabrics or similar places to back some of my customer's pianos.  Use an electric carving knife (like what you carve turkey with, only don't use it on the turkey afterwards), spray it with PAM or a silicone spray, and the blade will cut through the foam real easy for custom sizing.

If you're trying to muffle a Disklavier, or similar playing piano, I also suggest and install the felt mute rail systems. My customers notice an immediate and most appreciated difference after an install job.

Barbara Nobbe, RPT
Pitch Perfect
859-489-4793
barbara at pitchperfectpianos.com