[pianotech] Bluthner Bird Cage, (OVER DAMPER!!!)

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Thu Sep 10 01:18:15 MDT 2009

Joe,

Thank you very much for your reply.  This procedure seems like an
excellent idea.  When I first opened the front panel, tilting the
action was the last thing on my mind!  The Papps mute came in quite
handy, however.  In the high undampened section, it was easy to tune.
In the low bass and the first, oh, 10-15 notes or so of the tenor
section it was fine.  The hardest part was from about C4 to the
undampened treble notes.  In the middle, it seemed like I was playing
one of those kids games where you throw all the sticks in a pile and
you try and pick one up without moving any of the other sticks.  :-)

I took a look at your "Repair labor guide" and I noticed you had an
extra hour to tune birdcage actions.  It took me about 2:30-2:45.  Now
that I know they're going to take a little bit longer, I don't feel
quite so bad.

Since I'm 3/4 Scots-Irish, I have a genetic predisposition towards
getting the Brits "really honked off", so I guess I'm just going to
have to keep calling it a birdcage!  :-)

Thanks again,

Rob McCall
Murrieta, CA