[pianotech] Puzzler ala Wurly

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Sep 10 14:37:43 MDT 2009

After I had properly diagnosed this problem, I realized it was pretty
darn basic, but I have to admit that it took me a good little while to
figure it out - I didn't get it right away. I know there are "certain
techs" on this list that will have the answer to this puzzler is less
than five seconds - so how 'bout we restrict diagnostic responses to
those with maybe five or six or less years experience? If they can't
figure it out, then the experts will have it in a jiff. Let's give the
newbies (or newbie-ish) a day.

Early 50s Wurly spinet - with the separate capstan rail. Lady said a
couple keys were sticking. Piano hadn't been played in years. The
piano had been in the same home for over 50 years, but was recently
moved across the room. Open piano up and immediately notice all hammer
shanks a good 3/8" or so off the hammer rest rail. Measure blow -
about 1-1/8". All keys work, but if you play some of them slow, the
jack doesn't reset under the butt, and hence the "sticking" keys. Some
dampers are lifted just off the strings - others have no follow
through. Everything else with the action appears "normal". Piano
overall appears to be in better than average shape for what it is.

What's going on here?