[pianotech] charges

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Thu Sep 10 18:08:23 MDT 2009

Personally, I believe that it is much easier to have a fixed hourly rate for
all repair work.  I.e., String breakage, repairing broken hammer shanks,
sticking keys and the like.  Regardless of said piano.  If a job becomes
more difficult and we are charging by the hour, we will naturally be paid
more because it will take longer to complete the work.

I have a set rate for carding hammers & regulation of an action.  Of course
some action jobs will be more expensive than others for the obvious reason
of requiring more work.  In particular if things need replacement.  I judge
that based on approximately how long I think it will take me to complete the
work.  I judge my estimate by what I see while I am looking at the piano.
If I miss something, oh well, that's my fault not theirs.  Unless that is,
once I get it on the bench and discover something serious and costly.

I automatically include key leveling on every regulation job.  But, that
does not mean the price will be the same.  If they are not horribly out I
may charge one price.  If they are, it may be a lot more if some fly by
night worked on it last.  Then, it will likely cost considerably more
because I have to figure out what they screwed up before I can fix reverse
and and then fix it.

Now here's one that many tuners do not do.  I include a separate service
call charge along with some labor time that I incorporate into my estimates
for removal and installation of the action.  Removal and installation has
nothing whatsoever to do with performing the actual work on the action once
it is setting on my work bench nor does driving to and fro twice.  I liken
it to an appliance repair man.  They charge a service call to get them to
the door.  Then, their time begins.   Their vehicles don't run on air and
neither does mine.

I also charge a service call just to get me to the door only for any repair
work.  My labor rate begins once I arrive and is NOT included in my service
call charge.

I do charge more when I travel out of town for tuning.  It's not worth my
time to drive out there otherwise.  If they want ME to do it, I'll do it but
only if I have a few others over there on the same day but most certainly,
not for the same rate as if I could drive 15 minutes to get to a home
instead of 45.  My extra charge covers part of my time on the road and my
vehicle expenses.

Jer Groot RPT