[pianotech] Haynes baby grand

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Sat Sep 12 00:39:27 MDT 2009

Thanks Joe and Wim,

This piano says "Haynes" on the fallboard so I'm guessing it was an
attempt to capitalize on the Haines Bros. name. I mentioned to the
owner that they could have a $2,000 piano right now, they could invest
$5-10K in it and end up with a $3,000 piano.  She said, "I don't
care.  I don't want a new piano, this one means too much to me."

I know Joe said to leave the emotion out of it, and generally I think
that's a good idea, but when the emotional bond runs this deep and
they're well informed as to the costs and end values, I'm inclined to
do it for them.

Which brings to mind another question.  She had asked if she could
help with some of the work. Pulling out tuning pins, strings, etc. I
know she's not afraid of doing grunt labor...

What is everyone's thought on that?  Would you cut some of the labor
cost of rebuilding for the owner's sweat equity?  Does this open other
issues I can't think of right now?

She doesn't want to work on any of the technical stuff, action, etc.,
she just wants to get her hands dirty and help.  BTW, she helps
rebuild engines for dragsters with her husband so she has some
skills...  :-)

Regards,

Rob McCall
Murrieta, CA