[pianotech] Haynes baby grand

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Sep 12 07:26:36 MDT 2009

That's right Rob. I was going to jump all over Joe Garrett for saying:
"Other suggestion: leave the sentimentality out of it, if at all
possible. End comment: when is it completely re-whatevered, it will
still be a mediocre, non-descript, pyaner."

Your statement of investing $10K to produce a $3K Piano was an
excellent way to convey to the owner restoration costs and end result.
I take a similar approach all the time. However, when the piano owner
tells me that "this was grandma's piano, I learned to play on it, this
is the only piano that will be in this home - and I want it to look,
play and sound like new", then it is a whole different ballgame.

Again, even if someone accepts this approach, the norm is to recommend
minimizing investment because of "what the piano is". Let's consider
complete redesign and remanufacture of the piano with a Del Fandrich
or Ron Nossaman designed belly system. Such a job, along with a new
balanced action will require an investment of at least $20K and more
like $30+K. And of course many (most) will say that is crazy to put
that kind of money into a Haynes piano. "Only a Steinway or Mason and
Hamlin is worthy of that kind of treatment/investment".

But one has to realize that we have abandoned the investment value
thing here. The customer wants a NEW piano. The only thing to really
decide is whether she wants something comparable to a new Chinese
piano or something very high end. If the owner wants to go high end,
then consider redesign and remanufacture. Doing that level of work
works out some bugs on a quality piano like a S&S or a M&H. But that
level of work can TRANSFORM the lesser piano like the Haynes.

Now before one jumps into such work, the rebuilder has to evaluate the
piano to see whether it is a reasonable candidate for redesign/
remanufacture. What I mean by that is to examine the rim - is it only
a half-inch thick and made of softwood - or is it a decent hardwood
rim. What kind of bracing does the rim have (can always add bracing)?
How 'bout the plate - will its shape allow reasonable placement of the
bass bridge (move it forward for adequate bass backscale)? Is the
strip of plate between the bass and the low tenor wide/strong enough
to allow some grinding that may be needed to optimize low tenor bridge
shape and bass bridge placement? Etc., etc., etc. - Does the basic
frame/plate structure of the piano provide an adequate something for
the designer to work with. Some pianos provide a better basic
structure to work with than others.

I don't understand why rebuilders conclude that: "yeah, I've played/
serviced a number of Haynes (or whatever brand) pianos (80+ years old,
of course) and none of them seemed like much of a piano (daaaa) - so
even if you 'rebuild' it, it'll just be a little bit better (or less
bad). M&H and S&S do not have some excellent playing and sounding
pianos because of the name on the fallboard - it's because they are
designed well and built well (wow, did I say that?). YOU can do a
similar thing to Brand X often.

Just something to think about.

Terry Farrell