[pianotech] English overdamper was Bluthner birdcage

Duaine & Laura Hechler dahechler at att.net
Sun Sep 13 09:50:48 MDT 2009

tom wrote:
> <snip>
> 	As to the final tuning I will study the recent postings. I wonder if
> I could effectively tune without the damper assembly in via the ETD ? The
> strings are easily accessible and I might try and strip mute the entire
> scale again only pull the strip tight enough to also contact the middle
> string. Then tune unison by unison reinserting the strip each time. I might
> be jumping through too many hoops here and would be better served to follow
> the Papps mute suggestion. That is if I can only find the Papps mute I
> bought 30 years ago!
>
>  Tom -dangerously becoming Joe Garrett -Driscoll

Yes, It's possible. I'm using the Cybertuner.

I'm reconditioning and tuning a Collard & Collard from 1865 and the way
the overdampers are set, it's extremely difficult to tune it with them in.

The key that I found is to play the note as softly as possible, as to
NOT start the other strings vibrating. If it gets too noisy, I just take
my hand and "mute" them quiet - then go back to tuning.

Because of random breakage, I had to replace the bass strings.

I'm on my second full tuning at A440, and it's beginning to sound really
good. I'm planning on one more tuning. (When I first arrived, it was
almost 200 cents flat (or whatever 4 whole notes are))

--
Duaine Hechler
Piano, Player Piano, Pump Organ
dahechler at att.net
www.hechlerpianoandorgan.com
--
Home & Business user of Linux - 10 years