[pianotech] Sealing pinblocks

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Sep 13 16:19:13 MDT 2009

Al Guecia/AlliedPianoCraft wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I don't remember seeing anything about sealing a new pinblock, so I'd
> like to post a few questions.
>
> 1. How many of you use a sealer of some kind when you install a new
> pinblock?

I don't, and drill through.

> 2. If you do, do you think it adds to the stability or longevity of the
> pinblock?

I don't see how or why it would. There are folks taking great
pains to seal soundboards, bridges, and pinblocks, but
humidity changes still throw the pianos out of tune because
nothing entirely stops moisture transfer.

> 3. Has anyone done some tests to verify the results.

I haven't done any specific testing, but I have observed that
my redesigned rebuilds with low compression panels and epoxy
laminated veneer caps, are considerably more stable than
anything else I've seen, with unsealed open holes in the
bottom of the block.

I have nothing against sealing blocks, but I haven't seen
anything indicating the need.
Ron N