[pianotech] [Files] Bell upright piano. ("The iron Giant" !)

tom tomtuner at verizon.net
Sun Sep 13 20:18:41 MDT 2009

That might have been called an accelerated action.
A pain when the cord breaks, but worth the proper fix.
I have seen one, where all the springs were clipped.
It still worked, but not as well.
John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia

John,

They called it "Illimitable action" on the plate. I didn't think it was a
real word but here it is.
1. Illimitable
Impervious to limitation, without limit.

The jack really snapped back to the butt felt square but the thing is in
only fair regulation and in any case I don't have the pianistic skills to
really push repetition. Interesting idea. Mason and Hamlin and some
Chickerings have a spring assisted jack of different design. The idea
clearly had some interest from more than one company way back when.
Tom Driscoll