[pianotech] Subject: Re: Curved cast iron plate question

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 08:39:46 MDT 2009

>Hi Chuck. I don't specialize in S&S, but I'll stick my neck out anyway
(you do have a delete key, correct?) - and take everything I write
with a grain of salt. My best guess is that the plate webbing was flat
when cast in Springfield, Ohio. The string tension over the years has
bowed the pinblock and plate along with it. Maybe the pinblock had
come unglued from the stretcher (not that the stretcher has much
strength anyway) contributing to the ability of the string tension to
bow the plate/pinblock. Are we sure the plate isn't cracked - like a
fore-aft strut, again allowing movement? I don't know how common a
1/4" warp is.

>I know such warping is common on real old pianos that didn't have a
full plate (I'm talking 1850s or so when you had a hitch plate and
fore-art struts bolted to the hitch plate and otherwise unstiffened
pinblock).

>Did the string heights reflect the 1/4" warp? Perhaps a good way to
tell if the warp was original would be to measure original pinblock
thickness accurately. You state that the original pinblock was shaved
down on the ends to conform to the bowed plate. Do you say that based
on thickness measurements, or simply because the block mated to the
plate (the block could be warped just like the plate)? Or did you
measure the block and found that it is 1/4" thicker in the middle and
tapered on the upper side to mate? Is the block shape a plane on the
bottom?

Thanks for the input, Terry. No, the pinblock was definitely altered at the
factory to fit the plate. The pinblock is flat on the bottom. You can see
where they planed through the layers of lamination to taper the ends. Frank,
(who brought me the plate and original pinblock to copy) said that
everything else about the piano appeared normal. It wasn't until they had
pulled the plate, and removed the pinblock that they noticed the unusual
curvature. I'm planning to plane a new block to match the old, unless
someone tells me that's the wrong course of action. Chuck