[pianotech] Will...Re: Interested in having my Yamaha U1 voiced

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue Sep 15 09:28:05 MDT 2009

Julia - The best way to steam voice hammers is the Roger Jolly method.
He has published articles in the PTG Journal describing the method -
he has also lectured on the subject. I don't know what issue has the
article - maybe someone else knows.

The method is basically as follows: Cut several maybe 3" by 12" pieces
of cotton material - like bedsheets. Dampen them. Lay the damp
material over the hammer strike points. Take a hot iron with the brass
ironing caul (Pianotek sells them) and iron the damp material with the
hammer underneath. The hot hammer instantly heats the water in the
cotton and turns it to steam and applies it directly to the hammer.
One needs to experiment a bit at first to learn how hot to make the
iron and how much water to put on the material. Once you get that down
the process is extremely fast, effective and controllable. You can
reverse the process by dry ironing the hammers. I use this method
almost exclusively when doing extreme voicing (turning NASTY hammers
into something resembling a piano hammer).

If the hammer is properly glued, it will not cause any problems. I've
never had a hammer come unglued, and I've done this hundreds of times.

Terry Farrell