[pianotech] Subject: Re: Subject: Re: Curved cast iron plate question

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Tue Sep 15 09:46:02 MDT 2009

>Hmmmm. Well, stranger things happen a sea, ya know! I guess that's
what I also do. Happy planing. Ya might want to try to plane it like I
taper soundboard panels. Do it first with a router and make "steps" up
from the end (start with the deepest cut at the end of the block) of
the block to the middle (I don't know if that is enough explanation
for you to picture it). Routing it off first has the advantage of
minimizing and planing and it also serves as a depth guide while
planing. Hand planing an 8-inch wide hunk of hard maple AIN'T gonna be
ANY fun!<

Terry Farrell

On Sep 15, 2009, at 10:39 AM, Chuck Behm wrote:

That makes perfect sense, Terry. The factory, in fact, had put a router cut
from one side to the other on the straight back edge of the tapered surface
which I'm sure served as a depth guide. The tapers on the ends go down to
the full depth of the router cut on either end, which makes it easy to see
how much has been shaved off. Chuck