[pianotech] Weikert vs. Abel Naturals

Joe DeFazio defaziomusic at verizon.net
Thu Sep 17 20:10:40 MDT 2009

Hi Julia,

I think that it is very important to talk to your (potential) clients
about the types of music that will be most often played on the piano,
so that you can choose a hammer that will most easily fulfill that
type of music's timbral and textural demands.  That is to say, choose
the hammer that will require the least extensive voicing procedures in
order to please the musicians who will most often use the piano.

Just from reading your "small music club's semi-professional recital
hall" description, most groups that I know of that would fit that
definition tend to focus on chamber music, such as voice and piano,
piano with strings or solo woodwinds, accompanying choirs, and the
like.  If these are indeed the most common projected uses for the
piano, then I would go for a softer but not pillowy-soft hammer.  I
like the Ronsen VFG for that application;  they sound great right
away, with only a little lacquering required in the top 5-8 notes (if
they need a more thunderous bass, VFG's respond well to shoulder
application of lacquer in the low bass as well).

Of course, if instead they will be hosting mostly solo piano concerts
by touring concert artists, or will be mostly hosting pop acts, or
piano concertos with the local symphony, you might want a brighter
hammer, such as Renner.

So, the main suggestion I am making is to talk to your clients about
their musical needs before choosing a hammer.  If they are not
articulate in talking about music and/or piano tone, ask to see a
representative sampling of programs that they have staged;  that
should give you a good idea of which way to go.

Good luck with it,

Joe DeFazio
Pittsburgh