[pianotech] plate finish

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sat Sep 19 14:01:36 MDT 2009

I just wonder if it wouldn't be easier to figure out a way to duplicate the
texture and then shoot the plate with something similar in color or a
modified copper color which would look good as well.  Or, the counterbearing
area could be easily covered with a layer of felt on top of which you could
set the new brass counterbearing bars.  So that just leaves the area where
the hitch pin array is altered.  Even there you might be able to lay down a
layer of felt through which you could mark and punch the holes for the new
vertical hitches.  It would then look like under string felt even though it
wouldn't be touching the strings.  Seems a shame to have to strip, sand,
and/or fill the entire plate for a relatively small area.  I'm not sure what
to use to try and duplicate the texture should you decide to do that but it
seems like there should be a way.  They obviously use something in the
factory, though it's probably a sprayed on texture.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com