[pianotech] pitch correction dilemma

Arlie Rauch adarpub at midrivers.com
Thu Sep 24 09:47:27 MDT 2009

This is not a dogmatic answer, but one that reflects my experience
only.  I would normally do a pitch adjustment on a piano the first
time I see it, if it is necessary for a stable tuning, but with
repeated visits that may change.  I would also do whatever is
necessary to leave a piano exactly at 440 if a concert is near.

In some of the schools that I service, the pianos tend to go sharp
over summer and flat over winter.  I have discovered that I
exacerbate the swing by doing a pitch adjustment with the result at
exactly 440.  So I usually tune to 440 (aurally) and leave it.  After
summer that means the sharp piano will end up being slightly above
440, but it will come down later.  After winter that means the flat
piano will end up being slightly below 440, but it will rise later.
The average is closer to 440.

Arlie Rauch