[pianotech] Even balance weight or even downweight

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Sep 24 17:58:56 MDT 2009

While working with one of my colleagues to help him through the ins and outs
of the Stanwood basics we got into a brief discussion about what is
desirable from the pianist's point of view: uniform balance weight or
uniform downweight.  It's easy enough to set up the balance weight system so
that it gradually increases in proportion to the ever decreasing friction in
order to achieve a uniform downweight.   The charts below illustrates that.
I'm curious for those of you who use the balance weight system whether you
ever target a uniform downweight instead and what the overall reaction is.
I typically do not, though I'm considering trying it on the next action.  I
do sometimes get comments that the upper end of the piano is too light and
it seems like a reasonable approach.  One side benefit of doing it this way
is a higher up weight in the upper end of the piano which, presumably, would
reap benefits in terms of repetition.

The key didn't copy for some reason so it is as follows:  (if the charts
don't appear open the email in html rather than plain text).

Blue circles are down weight

Red diamonds are balance weight

Blue Triangles are up weight

Red circles are friction

Note 1 is on the far left, 88 on the far right

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com