[pianotech] Steinway models

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Sat Sep 26 08:20:27 MDT 2009

Julia,

Tom's advice is spot on.  Call S&S NY (or email David Kirkland) and they'll
fill in the details.  I'd guess you have a B and just measured a little
incorrectly.

Roughly:

S = 5'1"
M = 5'7"
L = 5'10 1/2"
O = 5'10"
A = 6', 6'1", or 6'4 1/2"
B = 6'10 1/2"
C= 7'5" (after 1886) around 7'2" before
D = 8'11 1/2"

Some pre-1900 dimensions vary, but usually you can figure what model it is
as it's fairly close.

William R. Monroe