[pianotech] Ivory

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 26 10:17:13 MDT 2009

If the Ivory is cleaned & sorted, it has value. (Sorted is sorted as per what note the piece is from. All the "A's" All of the C's & F's; All of the D's; All of the G's; all of the E's & B's. The A0 and C88's are sorted as separate.) If not, then it is of much less value. If it is not "intact", i.e.  chipped or cracked or permanently stained by pens, etc., then it is valueless. I save all of the bad stuff and GIVE it to luthiers. they can use it. Doesn't matter, to them, that it is not "whole".<G>
Also, to dispel a lot of myths that seem to be taken as fact. Ivory is legal, IF, the tusk has a serial number on it. These tusks are sold by the African nations police to fund further advancements against the Poachers! (Just like we do with drug dealers possessions). It would do us all well to have the facts of ALL of the rules and regulations regarding New/Olde Ivory. Even our border people don't know for sure! Sheesh!
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police