[pianotech] Even balance weight or even downweight

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Sep 28 16:55:41 MDT 2009

I'm not sure how you get even BW and even DW without adding friction as you
progress up the scale.  The numbers simply won't support it.  The only
realistic way to add friction to achieve that would be to add resistance to
the hammer flange.  Wouldn't recommend that.  Otherwise, the friction
naturally decreases as you ascend the scale with the ever decreasing SW.
Thus, either the DW stays the same, BW increases and friction decreases, or
DW stays the same BW stays the same and friction increases as you go up
through the scale, or BW stays the same, DW decreases and friction
decreases.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com