[pianotech] Even balance weight or even downweight

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Sep 28 18:59:55 MDT 2009

I agree in one sense.  The trichotomous structure of tone building: scale,
soundboard, hammer, makes trying to make every piano sound the same a
somewhat futile endeavor anyway.  Though some people do seem to try.  The
tonal character of a piano goes well beyond what can be achieved by voicing
alone (or we could make less expensive Steinways by putting Steinway hammers
on Yamahas) so like it or not we're stuck with pianos that sound different
anyway.  It is true that we can choose bright or dark and manipulate the
sound to some degree but we can't make a Steinway sound like a Bosendorfer
no matter how hard we try and we have to let our commitment to custom work
trump whatever direction our natural inclinations push us.

With touchweight it's a bit different.  A particular piano doesn't choose to
be light or heavy in the same way a tonal signature is stamped into the
design.  This is a mechanical procedure that can, with relative ease, be
manipulated depending on the desires of the player and our will and
expertise to do the work.  If we have to make a choice for an instrument
that's used by a broad spectrum of pianists then we are almost forced to
choose some middle ground.  Similarly if we are offering one for sale we can
commit to a particular touchweight knowing that if someone wants it changed
it's not that big a deal.  For me, at least with concert  instruments and
with instruments offered for sale, I would tend to err on the lighter side
(BW 35 - 37 ) than on the heavy side (BW 40+).  More complaints come from
actions that are  too heavy than too light except from those who simply want
heavy as a means of pianistic calisthenics.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com

Another great pianist once told me that he wished technicians would stop
trying to make all pianos play and sound the same!! (I had asked what advice
he could give me.) He said "Let the piano be what it wants to be; this one
brighter, that one darker, one heavier and another lighter touch." This
really opened things up for me. We walked around and he played several
pianos (all Steinways at Snow College) and he said "This one would be great
for (such and such) piece. And that one for (such and such) concerto. And
this one has a very heavy touch compared to that one, but I like them both!"
In fact I've had three giants of the piano at different times tell me the
same basic things. All were amazing and had won about every major
competition you've ever heard of. When I do have their ear (and it's easy
when they're in rural Utah with time to waste) I always ask the question
"what advice can you give me as a technician".

I know Fred Sturm would agree that he likes a variety in his pianos, but
your question as to "which" is more desirable BW or DW, I'm not sure can be
answered easily.

My 4 bits.

Regards,

Jim Busby