[pianotech] Even balance weight or even downweight

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Tue Sep 29 06:58:01 MDT 2009

 David writes:

I assume by even FW you mean smoothly graduated.? So do you
start by setting up a graduated FW pattern and then go back and target the
necessary SWs to achieve a uniform DW?? Or do you also mean a graduated DW?? Is
your note 1 the same DW as your note 88?

 Yes, it is smoothly graduated, but not on a straight line.? I have 8-10 notes across the scale that are designated as "feel good" notes, ie, have a FW that is in the acceptable range under the knuckle of choice with a SW that fits the piano. Then I draw a free hand curve that connects them, (this is done on a sheet of graph paper).? Then all the FW are brought to fit that line.? The DW also follow a curve, but one that is much less variable, I like to take a large piano from 52-54 gr at A0 and let it fall to maybe 45 or 42 by C88.? The most important thing to get fitted together is the SW curve to the FW curve.? As long as they fall into respectively effective ranges with one another, and the note to note evenness is kept,(viz small adj. to FW and SW), the overall effect is one of extreme? evenness. Pianists have remarked upon it.?
?? It helps to keep in mind that many piano actions, especially the STeinway ones, have wildly variable FW and the pianists still consider them "even".? I think we can get too caught up in the 1 gram DW differences, particularly when a little more brilliance in a hammer can make a key feel much lighter to the pianist.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT

I assume by even FW you mean smoothly graduated.? So do you
start by setting up a graduated FW pattern and then go back and target the
necessary SWs to achieve a uniform DW?? Or do you also mean a graduated DW?? Is
your note 1 the same DW as your note 88?

?

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com