[pianotech] somewhat OT - metal recycling or ???

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 30 09:53:41 MDT 2009

We all need to be aware of the fact that Brass is through the roof right now! I went to the hardware store for some R.H. 1/4" x 20 x 1"-slot head bolts. All the hardware store had was Phillips head, (I loath, hate and despise Phillips!). I was informed that they did have those in brass. Price $.98 each! Had to go to a specialty supplier to get the steel ones. The price for a box of them, (100), Steel....$4.25! Point is, brass & copper are valuable!! Steel...?...not. So. Sort and save. Recycle is EARTH FRIENDLY!<G> (It's an Oregon thang!)
Per the question, however...I put the extracted tuning pins in Coffee cans with a plastic lid, (modern equivalent is plastic coffee can<G>)The plastic lid can be put on the bottom as a protector when doing various projects requiring a "hold-down". I have stacks of them! I use them for the downforce on objects that are impossible to CLAMP! Such as, bridges. Three or four coffee cans stacked on a glue-up gives a sufficient amount of force to make a good joint!<G>
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police