[pianotech] recycling metal

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 30 23:31:39 MDT 2009

Greg said: "I don?t gain much in actual cash value but the recycler is close so I just
leave a bin in the driveway and when it fills I take it in. This way I know
it?s recycled and not in a land fill too. I?m still trying to figure out
where to take the lead from the keys."

Greg,
I'd suggest calling the local gunsmith. Anyone who shoots black powder or does his own reloading will want the lead!!! Check out the current prices of lead via the internet. That stuff brings good prices also. Either that or have a machinist make some molds for the various sizes of key leads and set up shop in your back yard, (very ventilated area), with a propane stove and lead melting pot and ladle. Remelt the lead and make new key leads. A mix of wheel weights, (from local tire store), which have a % of zinc, in them and the key leads you have saved will make a good mix that should not "expand". The pure lead plus contaminated air is the cause of expanding leads. The zinc prevents this. Make sure to have a vapor face mask when doing this sort of thing.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I