[pianotech] vs profelt

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 10:57:12 MDT 2010

I've had good luck just soaking bushings with alcohol & water. Swells up the
wood and the felt. I've only done this on newer pianos with bushings that
were on the loose side (maybe due to over easing).

On old pianos that get water damage the keys swell up and stop working even
after everything is dried out. So it may work on older keys as well.

Since my partner will rebush a set of keys for $135, we mostly just replace
them. Most chapters have an up and coming technician who needs more work.
Keybushing is a great way to make a little money when you're starting out.
It can also endear you to the more experienced folks!