[pianotech] Grey market pianos, seasoned pianos, etc.

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 13:41:31 MDT 2010

I just explain to folks that the piano is under 35,000-40,000 pounds of
tension. The structure, even though it is strong, is flexible and will bend
and twist to some degree when manipulating the tension. This is why the
piano's tuning has to be reasonable close to proper tension before a fine
tuning can be executed.

We rarely go into this when quoting prices over the phone.

We tell people that for most pianos we recommend a 2-hour service
appointment ($200). If the piano is way out of tune this will cover mostly
tuning. If the tuning takes less time there are always other maintenance
issues that can be addressed. This satisfies most prospective clients. If
the piano has been well maintained then there is a chance it will be an hour
and a half appointment ($155).

On the suggestion of Carl Lieberman, we started quoting the higher price
first. This creates an expectation. Then the client is really happy on the
occasions that the appointment is less then 2 hours.  **When they anticipate
a higher fee, and then you bill them less, it really secures your reputation
as an honest and fair business person.

Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter
Olympia, WA