[pianotech] FW: re: Rebushing keys, was ...VS Profelt

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 2 15:10:36 MDT 2010

Ryan,
I was quoting the time it takes to BUSH a set of keys, not fit them..yadayada.I don't use "key clamps". I use pipe clamps, so that I can do the whole set at once. This system was started by the Fandrichs and Larry Erbes, in the 70's.  That includes: removing old cloth and inserting new cloth. The glue, etc. should already be at hand and ready for whatever your shop dictates for any given day, IMHO. If you use metal cauls, it would also include heat sizing after the cloth is inserted. I place an iron on top of the cauls at the wool setting. Heat up the cauls and move to the next iron length. If done this way, I find I have very little "fitting" to do. Oh, forgot...I glue size the balance rail holes in the process...takes about 5 minutes. Hide glue and water, (cold type), 50-50 and a set of appropriate sized balance pins are inserted after the drops of glue are applied.
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police