[pianotech] Grey market pianos, seasoned pianos, etc.

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Fri Apr 2 15:02:50 MDT 2010

Comments below.

On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 3:01 PM, <tnrwim at aol.com> wrote:

>  My own explanation is basically, "I don't know," and I'm not ashamed to
> admit it.  I suggest that soundboard movement is a factor, along with bridge
> movement, rim movement as well as the rest of the belly components.  What I
> THINK I know is that variable humidity levels cause tuning instability and a
> quicker demise of any piano, and that controlling humidity goes a very, very
> long way toward minimizing these issues.  We know that wood changes it's
> dimensions with changing RH.  We also know that having a stable RH yields a
> vastly more stable instrument, but it's awful tough to quantify how much and
> exactly where in the system these changes are or are not happening.  I tell
> my clients something of that nature as well.
>
> It's a pretty simple argument to make that controlling humidity is the key,
> it's a bit tougher to quantify "why."
>
> William R. Monroe
>

> William
>
> Being honest with a customer and admitting that you don't know why a piano
> goes out of tune is very respectable. But from a piano owner's point of
> view, that doesn't give much confidence.

I disagree.  My philosophy is that being honest with a customer always
engenders respect and confidence.  As I said, for my part I typically tell
them some of the theories as to why different technicians may suggest their
piano goes out of tune seasonally.  Then I tell them that for the most part,
they all contribute, but to suggest that there is one reason is overly
simplistic and inaccurate.  When a client sees that you as a technician are
unwilling to accept answers just because the masses recite the same answers,
they DO respect that.

> All the reasons you give are very technical. The one common denominator is
> the changes in humidity. The biggest part of the piano that is effected by
> the humidity is the soundboard. Humidity does something to the soundboard,

I would amend this to say "Humidity does something to the [piano], that does
something to the tuning."  Why suggest it's all about the soundboard if you
believe it's not the case?

> that does something to the tuning. Yes, the other components are also
> effected, but the bridge doesn't rise and fall on its own, and the belly
> doesn't either. You are right that by controlling the humidity, it will
> stabilize the tuning. I see that here all the time. I've been here long
> enough to have done at least two tunings, and a lot of my pianos are dead
> on, and I have a hard time spending an hour on the piano.
>
> But the bottom line is that from a layman's point of view, the simplest
> answer is the easiest to explain to a customer.

Wim

> Yes the simplest answers are the easiest to explain.  There's a reason for
that.  They're simple (and inaccurate).  I wouldn't be honest if I said I
never used that explanation.  At first because I didn't know any different -
it's what everyone told me - later as an expedient.  More and more, however,
I find that if you want a simple answer that people understand, you simply
need to say when humidity changes, all the wooden components of your piano
change as well, they expand and contract with increasing and decreasing RH.
Simple.  Accurate.  If they want to know more you can delve into the
complexities, if not, you're all set.

William R. Monroe