[pianotech] FW: re: Rebushing keys, was ...VS Profelt

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Fri Apr 2 16:32:58 MDT 2010

What's too loose?  A "snug" balance rail bushing may not cause a sticking
key but it sure can cause a lot of excess friction.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com

On Apr 2, 2010, at 1:38 PM, Ryan Sowers <tunerryan at gmail.com> wrote:

The other thing about keybushing that I don't here discussed much is how to
make the balance rail snug enough. If you leave regular cauls in until they
are completely dry they will be way too loose for my taste. I actually
ordered a set of cauls from BiIl that are not oversized (the regular cauls
are .148"). Even so, I remove the cauls after about 15 minutes so they can
swell slightly. Otherwise they are too loose. A snug balance rail bushing
rarely causes a sticky key, and it will correct a lot of key squaring issues
making key leveling easier an quicker.