[pianotech] More on discounts

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 18:38:44 MDT 2010

Dean May brought up a good point -
"It isn't the amount of the discount, it is that there is a discount."

January 1st of this year I raised my tuning rates $5. Because I do a lot of
church pianos, and because I get annoyed with the amount of time it takes
some churches to pay the bill, I decided to try something new. When I book a
church I inform the person in charge that if they have a check ready and
waiting for me on the sanctuary piano when I come to tune the pianos, they
may go by my 2009 price. If they can't manage to have a check, no problem,
but the bill will be for the new price.

It's been amazing to me that since the 1st of the year, I've tuned pianos in
16 churches, and had checks waiting for me in 14 of them. I will gladly
sacrifice $5 a piano for the convenience of having the money paid up-front.
The people in charge of finances at the churches seem to appreciate getting
a good deal as well.

Just my 2 cents (or 5 dollars) worth for consideration. Chuck Behm