[pianotech] Pitch Change (was: Grey market pianos, seasoned pianos, etc.)

Tom Driscoll tomtuner at verizon.net
Fri Apr 2 23:01:34 MDT 2010

Question : Tuning a piano where pitch is 2-3 cents flat and a string breaks
@ let's say note C-64. Humidity hasn't changed unless profane comments
muttered under ones breath is a factor but now three or four notes on either
side of the break are  a few cents  sharp.
 I thought with less force bearing down on the bridge at that specific point
that the bridge rises and increases tension on the adjacent strings.  Is
this a convenient but  incorrect explaination of what is going on here and
does this fit somehow into our current  discussion?

Tom Driscoll