[pianotech] Grey market pianos, seasoned pianos, etc.

David Ilvedson ilvey at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 2 23:03:45 MDT 2010

It has to be reasonable temperature and humidity stability that keeps a well tuned piano "relatively" in tune.   I live in piano heaven...I go back to pianos all of the Pennisula in the Bay over and over and see solid tuning stability.   Always at A440 once tuned.   At Stanford a few years back, we had a problem with the steam heat.   Tunings were unstable...pitch up and down.   In the Summer ivories were coming off...more than normal.   Once they got the problem fixed...stability was back.   These a cross-section of pianos.   Steinways, Yamahas...you name we've got it.   Nothing special just good solid tuning and a stabile climate.   None of these pianos, that I work on, have damppchasers.

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA  94044