[pianotech] Plate expansion, was Re: Pitch Change (was: Grey market pianos, seasoned pianos, etc.)

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Sat Apr 3 14:55:11 MDT 2010

Wim, and others,

This from David Love is the crux of the issue to me.  The soundboard
changing is certainly a factor, and I'm not disputing that.  It's simply a
matter of accepting that there are MANY things changing on pianos
seasonally, and it is nigh on impossible to identify all the sources, let
alone quantify them.  If you need a simple explanation for your clients,
it's this: "changes in humidity = changes in the piano, including the
tuning."  Then, if they really want more, you can start to dive in to the
myriad of possible contributors.

William R. Monroe

SNIP