[pianotech] Pitch Change (was: Grey market pianos, seasoned pianos, etc.)

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sat Apr 3 17:33:15 MDT 2010

I did read that William, thank you.  After reading more of it as well, it
appears to me that there is much more speculation than positive proof either
way from either Ric or John.

I visited with Dr. Yat Lam Hong all afternoon today.  He is a man FULL of
information and is most willing to share it.  How he manages to retain it
all is beyond me.  I wish I had that kind of memory.  For those of you that
do not know Yat Lam, he is an extremely knowledgeable RPT.

I asked Yat Lam Hong his philosophy on what he thought was the main cause of
why pianos go out of tune so drastically from seasonal changes and his
immediate reply was "humidity."  He went on to say that "humidity causes
swelling and contraction of the sounding board sending pitch up and down.."
A pure and simple answer.   I asked him about the rim being a factor.
"Possibly some, but no, not much."  Adding:  "It would be a very small
factor as would the sounding board near the rim because it is glued down
there.  The bass section changes tuning and pitch also but not nearly as
much as the tenor section.  One reason is because it is closer to the edge
of the piano.  Whereas the tenor section of the pianos bridge runs down the
middle of the sounding board where it swells and contracts the most."

We both agreed that there some other factors that do come into play.  Some
of them have been mentioned here such as heat or lighting.  We both think
however, that the major contributing factor is the sounding board swelling
and contracting.  So, I stand firmly by what I was taught.  We had other
things to do so we dropped it at that.

Jer