[pianotech] New Faulk

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 23:15:35 MDT 2010

NIIICE. I've had my eye on one of those for the past couple of years. I had
a titanium lever that I really enjoyed for quite a few years. My wife
started learning tuning last year and we bought her the new Levitan tuning
lever that Dan Levitan designed and Pianotek is selling. I borrowed it to
try it out and ended up stealing it from her!

I'm looking forward this year to doing a flex test on all the custom levers.
Steve Fujan has a set-up at his booth to measure flex in tuning levers. It
would be very interesting to see how the new Faulk levers compare to the
Fujan and the Levitan levers.

I have become convinced that stiffer and lighter is better. I can feel whats
happening in the pin much better and the control is noticeably improved. The
more flexible the lever is the more potential energy gets stored in it. Once
the pin overcomes its static friction all that energy dumps into the pin
causing it to turn more than with a stiffer lever. At least that's what it
feels like!

Congrats on your new toy! Worth every penny!

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter