[pianotech] vs profelt

Tom Servinsky tompiano at bellsouth.net
Sun Apr 4 09:14:02 MDT 2010

I've been following this thread with curiosity. As one who would be rebushing if the situation presented itself, I can't help but want another procedure do help during that "in between period" when bushings are beginning to open but felt quality is still strong.
I've tried the steaming method and although it works, it's very temporary at best. The VS Profelt is intriguing as it might help to buy time before rebushing  is absolutely necessary. To date I've not tried the VS Profelt.

I did my own experiment this past week with denatured alcohol and H20 ( 50/50) on a set of keybushings. The felt was in decent condition but the play in the mortises/pin was very excessive.
After giving the bushings a good soaking, I used the Spurloch final cauls and let set 8 hrs. The difference was quite improved.  I'm doing a 2nd application today and give the action a good work-out tomorrow.
My hope is that this solution will help size the mortise plus stabilize the wood and felt to return to a reasonable fit.
To those who have tried the VS Profelt, is supposed to create the same effect as the denatured alcohol and water?
Tom Servinsky

My next step is try the VS Profelt and compare results
I'll keep the listed posted of my results.