[pianotech] Pitch Change

Nick Gravagne gravagnegang at att.net
Mon Apr 5 13:39:44 MDT 2010

I have been following the pitch-change-due-to-belly swelling thread with
some interest and would like to add the following.

First of all, the scientific method holds many requirements. High on
that list (philosophically anyway) is the idea that observed physical
phenomena (OP) require satisfactory scientific explanations. These
explanations usually exist in forms of mathematical equations; and these
formerly derived through incessant testing and verification followed by
agreement and consensus of those not only behind the slide rule, but by
those whose still sharp human senses have not been dulled through
distrust.

Per our subject at hand: if there is no consensus among piano techs and
players that pianos go sharp during seasons of higher (relatively)
humidity, then the subject is DOA. The consensus does exist in large
numbers, however, and strongly held ------ that our senses and
experiences suggest that belly wood swelling causes a sharpening of
pitch. At this point no mathematical verification seems required as
intuition and sensation appear fitting. When a formal (i.e., scientific)
verification is required, it must uphold the OP and not defeat the OP or
else the OP, regardless of consensus, is flawed. If the outcome of a
particular mathematical approach fails to support the OP, then another
approach, followed by another is required until the scientific
explanation succeeds in supporting the OP.

Now, this may seem too obvious as to be not worth stating; but I think
it is worth a reminder. A common pitfall (quite common in all schools of
learning and even in everyday life by the brightest minds) occurs in not
trusting, or at least factoring in, our own senses. Worse is the
tendency to try one formal approach, and when this approach fails to
suggest the reason for the OP, to now draw conclusions that that initial
formal search regarding “xyz” is final, and that what ever else is going
on, we have clearly eliminated “xyz” as a possible cause.

RE the hypothesis that pitch change due to the rise and fall of the
belly system is suspect, followed by a conclusion that soundboard
deflection due to ambient swelling is an insignificant cause of pitch
change needs to be challenged, either in part or in full. I say this
because recent posts on the subject (and many well thought out) suggest
some unnecessary confusion.

I agree with Frank Emerson that RicB’s contribution to the subject is
not completely clear, and that perhaps we could persuade Ric to
resubmit, and / or rethink his position on this. For one thing, I would
like to know what others think of the downbearing calculation of 9.59
lbs increase due to a 1 mm addition to “bridge height”, and what this
increased force has to do with the stated minimally increased tension /
frequency.

I hope to follow up on this at a later date.

Nick Gravagne, RPT

Piano Technicians Guild

Member Society Manufacturing Engineers

Voice Mail 928-476-4143