[pianotech] pitch change

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 19:27:41 MDT 2010

The jack idea is a good one Joe! I look forward to hearing the results of
this. Just don't pop out the soundboard!

The other thing to consider is the pitch change in uprights when you push up
on the keybed with your knees. You can sometimes get a pretty dramatic
change in the octaves by doing this (especially on small pianos). My
thinking is that since the keybed is attached to the plate that flexing the
keybed causes the plate to also flex and change the octave widths. Some day
I hope this leads to the holy grail of piano features: The Piano Whammy Bar!

This phenomenon again makes me think that plate flex is possibly the
greatest factor in seasonal tuning change - not because the plate itself is
reacting to humidity (of course) but because expansion of the beams,
soundboard, belly rail, keybed, etc is causing stresses on the plate to
change.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter