[pianotech] Pitch change, etc.

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Apr 7 09:48:33 MDT 2010

Hi Will,

That Ron guy who responded to your post has a great POWER notcher -
easy for him to say it's not hard to hand-notch! That being said, it
may just be my poor notching skills, but I did make up a cap of
quarter-sawn 0.5 mm laminations early on in my cap building efforts
and found it quite difficult to notch. Yes, I could do it, but it sure
didn't look very good. Again, maybe it's my lack of notching skill,
maybe the quarter-sawn is more difficult to chisel smoothly than flat-
sawn - I don't know. No reason for you to not give it a try though.

What I have been doing is building laminating caps with quarter-sawn
1.5 mm laminations. I'll usually have about six laminations in a cap.
These I find easier to hand notch as you are usually only going
through two bonding surfaces or so.

Do they perform as well as the thinner laminations (stability,
clarity, etc.)? I don't know for sure as I have not ever tested side-
by-side. They do however seem to work quite well. I also set each
bridge pin in epoxy (put epoxy in hole and on pin).

I apply unthickened epoxy to the notches, but not to the bridge top
(leave it nakey).

I haven't been using any filler on my caps. I used some one time and
it made the epoxy white - I like the looks of the clear. When I bond
the laminations together, I wrap the assembly in plastic to retain the
oozing epoxy - works quite well.

Some things to think about anyway. Let us know what route you end up
going and how it works out. BTW, I know a guy down in Florida who
actually builds the type of cap I have described here and sells them
to the trade!

Terry Farrell

PS: You live in Massachusetts and can't find good hard