[pianotech] Pitch change, etc.

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Apr 7 20:16:54 MDT 2010

I haven't really worked out a protocol for planning the root.  I haven't
really gone to laminated bridge caps though I do coat the cap and notches
with epoxy and let it soak in as much as possible (especially in the notches
where the endgrain seems to suck it up more readily) before wiping off the
excess and then letting it harden.  My protocol is to cut the bridge cap to
the right thickness before gluing it on the root which would work for the
laminated caps as well.  I have one piano in process which will get a
laminated cap but it's not delignit (I agree with will about the look of
it).  This cap is one that Terry F. made for me and is only three of four
plies of maybe 2 mm thick (I haven't looked at it in awhile).  It's all
maple and because there are fewer laminations it should hand notch a bit
easier.  It's going on a 6'4" Knabe which has been in the works for
ages--the cobbler's children go unshod.  Customer work seems to keep getting
in the way but I guess that's a good thing.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com