[pianotech] jack

James Grebe jamesgrebe at charter.net
Thu Apr 8 05:32:51 MDT 2010

After thinking about this for a long time and remembering a post about using
jacks I succumbed to going to my local Harbor Freight and bought a 2 ton
hydraulic jack for $9.95.  It is their smallest unit.  As many of you, know
I make caster cups and with the advent of my older age found it much more
difficult to raise one leg at a time while the client places the caster cup
under the caster.  In many cases it makes the difference for a purchase.  I
brought it back to my shop to test it on a Chickering grand that I have been
working on.  With a small stool and a couple various thickness pieces of
wood it performs the task of raising the grand just a few inches, enough to
get a caster cup underneath or repairing a leg, one leg at a time.  Harbor
Freight has so many wonderful tools at such good prices.  It is small enough
to fit in the car and is well made.
James
James Grebe Est. 1962
Piano Tuner-Technician