[pianotech] Initial pinblock torque, was Pinblock expensive experiment

jimialeggio jimialeggio at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 06:51:45 MDT 2010

Since it Duane's first pinblock, I would like to see if we could have
some discussion about starting torques in new blocks of various
provenance, especially the composite one he's got there.

On my first block (delignit...1st and last), I carefully  sized drill
bits/speed/plunge speed/chilled  to achieve  a torque  close  to the
final torque I wanted to end up with. I shot for 130inlb intitially,
thinking it would drop a modest 20inlb to 110ish.  Given  the
unforgiving nature of the delignit, though  the holes were pretty
consistent (within 25inlb),  the subsequent  torque drop significantly
after stinging and 5 of years to 75-55ish. This obviously was
significantly more than my projected 20inlb drop...and occasioned  a repin.

Granted this block was my personal experiment piano, so tensions were
dropped on the whole block to mess around with the belly several times,
but still I think I would have been much better off shooting for a
higher initial torque, say more in the 175ish department.

I've read through alot of archive posts regarding pinning and drilling,
but initial  torque  overshoot  is never mentioned.

Can we get some input on this?

Jim I

--
Jim Ialeggio