[pianotech] How NOT to move a grand piano

Brian Wilson wilsonpiano at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 11 05:27:13 MDT 2010

I am cautious about getting into this discussion and whether or not these piano carriers know what they are doing, and the methods used.
The carriers here are using the same tools and techniques as other piano carriers I know, including one who emigrated here from the United Kingdom. The board is tied onto the piano with a cover and the piano is placed on a trolly with in line pneumatic wheels.
The Australian carriers I know either use this technique or a variation of it.
I can say that I have never seen carriers using caster type wheels here in Australia. I believe that you should use the techniques and equipment that suits the user, hence the discussion on this list.
>From the photos, I would have liked to see the piano turned 90 degrees on to the electric tailgate, and then the piano is lowered by the tailgate.  For me , 3 staff is the usual for a 9 foot piano, including being carried up stairs.
When I encounter carriers who call themselves piano carrers, I can usually ascertain whether they are competant by watching them for about 30-60 seconds.
My theory on this poor piano is that these carriers had a bad day at the office.  The moving company can be found by your favourite internet search method and the testimonials on the web page.

Regards
Brian Wilson